Pages

July 22, 2013

Filled Under:

Gianniotis wins men's 10-km Open Water Swimming event in Barcelona

"Unbelievable, but true." With these words reigning world champion Spyros Gianniotis described his victory in the 10-km Open Water Swimming world championship event held in Barcelona on Monday. Gianniotis, who defended the title he had won in the FINA Swimming World Championships in Shanghai two years ago, noted that the race had come on a good day for him.
     "It was a crazy race, especially in the last 2.5 km before the finishing line. I used both mind and soul, realizing what I had lost in last year's Olympics. I dedicate my success to my coach (Nikos Gemelos), who is always next to me, my parents and of course to all the Greek people. What I wanted to do last year, I was finally able to do a year later," the 33-year-old champion said soon after finishing the race.
The leading Greek athlete won his fifth medal in the last four swimming championship events, leaving behind Germany's Thomas Lurz and Tunisia's Oussama Mellouli.
     "By winning the gold medal, Spyros Gianniotis proved once again that he is the world champion in his sport," Deputy Culture and Sports Minister Yiannis Andrianos said, commenting on Gianniotis' victory in Barcelona's 2013 15th FINA World Championships.
The articles posted on HellasFrappe are for entertainment and education purposes only. The views expressed here are solely those of the contributing author and do not necessarily reflect the views of HellasFrappe. Our blog believes in free speech and does not warrant the content on this site. You use the information at your own risk.