Pages

June 18, 2011

Filled Under:

Full transcripts of Strauss-Khan arrest released !

PARIS, FRANCE - MAY 16:  Newspapers with cover...Image by Getty 

Dominique Strauss-Kahn initially claimed diplomatic immunity when he was first arrested for sexual assault in New York, according to official documents and transcripts (click here to read the transcripts) released by prosecutors in the case. International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn appears in Manhattan Criminal Court during his arraignment in New York May 16, 2011. 

Strauss-Kahn was denied bail on attempted rape and other criminal charges, and prosecutors said they are investigating whether he may have engaged in similar conduct once before.  The former head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) also scoffed at wearing handcuffs when arrested at JFK airport last month.

The transcripts also reveal how hotel staff and police officials were able to detain Strauss-Kahn before he could flee to France by airplane. Before boarding the aircraft, he called the Sofitel Hotel in Times Square at 3:30 pm (local time) to say he left his cell phone behind. According to the transcripts, the following dialogue took place:

Hotel Employee: Mr. Strauss-Kahn, this is the Sofitel. I have your phone. I need to know where you are so I can return it.
Strauss-Kahn: I am at JFK airport.
Hotel Employee: Ok. I can be there in 40 minutes.
Strauss-Kahn: I have a problem because my flight leaves at 4:26 pm.
Hotel Employee: No problem, I will take a cab and be there in 40 minutes. 


With policemen eavesdropping on the phone conversation, the hotel employee promised to return the mobile phone to SK in person at the airport. However, police went to the airport to arrest him instead. According to the prosecutor’s documents, the following dialogue occurred at the police station at Kennedy Airport between Strauss-Kahn and a police detective.

Detective Maharaj: "Please have a seat."
Strauss-Kahn: "Is that [handcuffing] necessary?"
Detective Maharaj: "Yes, it is."
Strauss-Kahn: "I have diplomatic immunity."
Detective Maharaj: "Where is your passport?"



(Ten minutes later)
Strauss-Kahn: "I need to make a call and let them know I won't be at my meeting tomorrow. These handcuffs are tight."

Five hours later at Manhattan Special Victims Squad, the following exchange took place:
Strauss-Kahn: "Do I need a lawyer?"
Detective Rivera: "It is your right to have one in this country if you want. I don't know if you have some kind of diplomatic status."
Strauss-Kahn: "No, no, no. I'm not trying to use that. I just want to know if I need a lawyer."
Detective Rivera: "That is up to you."


Strauss-Kahn, who has pleaded not guilty to charges that he raped a hotel chambermaid, is currently out on bail and living under house arrest in Manhattan

Read more on this story here




Enhanced by Zemanta
The articles posted on HellasFrappe are for entertainment and education purposes only. The views expressed here are solely those of the contributing author and do not necessarily reflect the views of HellasFrappe. Our blog believes in free speech and does not warrant the content on this site. You use the information at your own risk.