Pages

April 22, 2011

Filled Under: ,

Have a Blessed Good Friday

The Epitaphios is placed on a decorated bier, ...Image via Wikipedia
It is difficult to speak about Orthodox Easter without getting emotional. It is even more difficult to speak about the night of Good Friday and keep my emotions out of this text. That is why I decided to make this personal today and I thank you for sharing this moment with me.

Tonight, many Greeks all over the world will make their way to church for a special service. All day yesterday, many of the women were working on something called the “Epitaphios” which is also known as the Bier of Christ, which is covered with flowers so that on Good Friday morning, it is ready to receive the image of the body of Christ when he is taken down from the Cross.
There is something special about this night. The air is full of the scent of flowers, it is still but not heavy, there is a melancholic feeling all over but there is also something different. There is a feeling of stillness, emptiness, calmness and the hearts seem to open to accept the Love of His sacrifice. 

I think it is this stillness or silence that allows us to communicate with Him, at least for me it is. When we keep still before the Epitaphio, there is no room for anxious, distracting thoughts. In our silence we can hear His voice and receive the answers to our pleas.

This is the great strength we draw from Good Friday that enables me, as I am sure all of you, to find rest in time of grief. I think it is moments such as these that allow all of us to go on and move on, despite great pain. It is through stillness in many moments in my life that I have received the empowerment to perform daily tasks, gain courage, become more timid, learn to forgive myself, learn to love more, strive harder and defend my faith.

To keep still and reflect on the significance of the messages received today is not an easy task, but take it from me, the barrel of moody energy… it can be done. 

Have a blessed Good Friday



Enhanced by Zemanta
The articles posted on HellasFrappe are for entertainment and education purposes only. The views expressed here are solely those of the contributing author and do not necessarily reflect the views of HellasFrappe. Our blog believes in free speech and does not warrant the content on this site. You use the information at your own risk.